Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Healthy Breakfast

Beginning of a new home school week, so I tried to make the first meal of the day a little more special than our usual pancakes, cereal or egg/toast. Pictured left to right: 
  • Whole wheat waffle in, yes, another Cuisinart appliance..you'd think I was a rep for them, but I'm not...the Cuisinart waffle maker. I replaced our old Belgian waffle maker with this small, compact waffle maker and it's been great. The waffles cook quickly and you don't get a massive amount of bread, so it's more 'carb' friendly if you are looking for that.  
  • Homemade applesauce with cinnamon shaker behind it
  • Hot berry mixture
  • Fage 0% Greek style yogurt
  • Agave nectar
  • Chopped walnuts
I grew up eating waffles only with syrup or with butter, brown sugar and cream. Don't try the 2nd..I'm still addicted to it. This day I wanted to provide a healthier alternative to give the boys something new to try. So, how did it go over?
  • Adam, 11, put applesauce, cinnamon, nuts and the berry mixture.
  • Luke, 9, (my sugar-holic) actually surprised me by loading his up with the berry mixture and nuts. Reason this really surprised me is because I didn't sweeten the berries..and he still gobbled them up.
  • Davey, 15, used the berries, applesauce, nuts and agave nectar.
  • Me, 44, had one waffle with 1/4 cup Fage, berries, 1 T. walnuts, cinnamon and a little agave nectar. 
Recipes:
  Whole wheat waffles. This is our pretty standard waffle/pancake recipe. I grind my own wheat flour, but you can use whole wheat from the store.  You can modify this easily by substituting rice milk and vinegar if you don't do dairy, by using all egg whites instead of whole eggs..etc... But this is the basic recipe.
  •   2 eggs
  •   2 cups buttermilk
  •   2 T. canola oil
    • Mix the above. Then, if you want to only mess up one bowl, gently pile on top:
  •   2 cups whole wheat flour
  •   1 t. baking soda
  •   1 t. baking powder
  •   scant salt
  •   scant sugar if desired
    • Before stirring in, kind of mix the dry ingredients together. 
Then, stir all until combined. If it seems a little thick, add a bit more buttermilk. Too thin? Stir in 1/4 cup of flour at a time to get it thicker.

Bake in waffle iron.

Hot Berry Sauce 
   I make hot berry sauce without really measuring, but you really can't mess up something like this!
  • 2 cups rinsed, frozen mixed berries or blueberries  (blueberries hold their shape..the mixed berries will be more like a jam when it's done. We buy big bags at Sam's to save money)  
  • 1/2 cup water with 1 T. cornstarch dissolved in
  • Squeeze of lemon or lime juice
Put all in a small, heavy saucepan on medium. As berries thaw, stir until thick and bubbly. I used to add about 2T or 1/4 cup sugar but now I don't and let everyone just put a little agave nectar or brown sugar on top to taste. Serve hot. Save leftovers to stir into your yogurt snack later in the day!

That's it. One of my favorite high energy breakfasts. I shoot for a breakfast like this once a week. The rest of the week it's oatmeal, egg white omelets, Shakeology and other recipes from the Chalean Recipe guide and the P90X recipe guide.  

Note: The fage yogurt is a high protein source and it's such a creamy texture, you'll think you are eating something really decadent! It satisfies me like a dessert. 


In this together,
Anne
5 Star Beachbody Coach

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anne I enjoy your Blog. Could you send or give out what the recipe for your apples sauce

    ReplyDelete